SHENZHEN, China (Reuters) – The National Basketball Association said on Friday it won’t make the Brooklyn Nets and the Los Angeles Lakers available to media for the rest of their China visit, amid a furore over a tweet by a Houston Rockets executive supporting Hong Kong’s protesters.
The teams had been scheduled to address news conferences on Friday afternoon in Shenzhen, ahead of Saturday’s exhibition game in the southern Chinese city on the border with Hong Kong that the league says will proceed as planned.
“We have decided not to hold media availability for our teams for the remainder of our trip in China. They have been placed into a complicated and unprecedented situation while abroad and we believe it would be unfair to ask them to address these matters in real time,” the league said in a statement.
No players or executives were made available for official briefings this week in China as the league grappled with the backlash from the quickly deleted tweet…
Source news reuters.com, click here to read the full news.